Friday, December 4, 2015

Nov 2015 Nanowrimo Wrap Up - WritingProject: Countdown #3 - Update #5

Countdown Series #3


Want to follow my daily progress? Follow me at:
Twitter @ HE_Anev
Project Goal: To get a first draft this novel.

Stage of writing: First Draft

What inspired my current project: I read a story on tumblr and read comments that said someone should write a story based off that topic. The suggestions and my desire to expand on it inspired my own version. It's paranormal (not sci-fi as I originally stated).

Last Update WC: 42,639
Week's Total WC: 7,417
Total Story WC: 50,056

Daily WC:
  1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 4,252
  4. 3,165

Last 200 words:

Maggie beamed, “Good, I’ll wait here.”

Eddy grinned at her and tugged on my arm but I stopped then walked over and gave Maggie a hug. She paused confused for a moment but then embraced me back. “It’ll be fine,” she whispered and rubbed my back comfortingly.

“I’ll miss you,” I said which made her bark out in laughter.

“You’ll be back in an hour or two, silly. I’ll see you soon.”

I half waved unable to tell her the entire truth as to why I said it and tears threatened to leak from my eyes but I valiantly held them back as Eddy gently directed me out of the room.

Once the door closed I felt Eddy embrace me tightly and he murmured by my ear, “I have a gut feeling. I won’t say it aloud because I don’t want to jinx it.”

I choked out a laugh and pulled back slightly, “When have you ever been superstitious?”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts of the Week

Total Words This Week: 7,417

Decided to list some of my thoughts I've had during the week to give you a little more insight on my progress and/or struggles.
  • Once I missed a day it seemed to snowball and I had the crazy idea that I could catch up. Technically it's true but was a close call and I didn't like feeling rushed at the end.
  • Even at 50k the story is far from over but I intend on finishing it later. Not sure if I'll do it in December yet.
  • Apparently I can more or less do 3-4k right before bed as long as I'm focused enough. Technically it's in a sitting or two as I do get up for breaks when I feel like it. Kind of proud about this and wished I was able to do that everyday. My record is about 6k in a day.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of the Month Thoughts

Total Words This Month: 50,056

Surprisingly, I'm not as burnt out from writing as I've been in other months where I've written this consistently. Normally I need a few days or a week break between but I was ready to write on Dec. 1. I should have, but didn't. Whoops.

While typing is convenient, I still prefer writing long hand for stories and may attempt to do that in the future again. Maybe during one of the Campnanos. Gives me a better reason to write on the go or while I'm out. I realize I don't particularly enjoy writing on my phone. Autocorrect is my enemy.

Getting started is the hardest part for me when I begin a writing session but once I get going for awhile I tend to be able to pound words out fairly easily. As long as I know where the story is going. Fortunately, I did for this story so the outline was extremely helpful and I will try to do this for the future again.

Glad this story is mostly done with but it does need fleshed out as I tend to write bare bones the first time around. I do need to go back to the first book and finish that story. I also have to figure out the over-arcing themes and ideas over the entire series. I want to know all the details before I go any further with the series so I know where it will eventually end.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with how this month went. I stuck to my outline fairly well and didn't deviate too much. The outline helped when I got stuck on what to write about that day and I know I skipped a lot of transitions. Each plot point beat in my outline seemed to generate about at least 1k of words for me. I technically had 20 beat points but some of those merged or I skipped in general so I think I did well. I made my goal for the moment and I know I'll have to add more to the story that I skipped or needs fleshed out.

I'm proud of my win and hope to be able to use this to motivate myself to keep on moving forward and doing my best. I do plan on doing Campnano next year but from now till the new year, my hopes are to do revisions and planning.

I hope you guys are enjoying reading about my progress of this series with me. Let me know what you think of these updates and what you'd like to see more of in the future!


Other Updates:


No comments:

Post a Comment